Project time frame: 2017 – 2019
Research goal: The development of an international cooperation model to form a climate team to secure international transfer mitigation outcomes (ITMOs).
The project has four components:
1 Conceptual design of a climate team agreement.
- Identification of contracting and negotiation challenges.
- Analysis of existing cross-country mitigation agreements to identify useful precedents and experience.
- Guidelines for key features of an effective contract.
2 Strategic analysis of characteristics of potential participant countries.
- Colombia as a ‘host’.
- Republic of Korea and New Zealand as ‘partners.’
- Reforestation monitoring capability and analysis of data to create a reforestation baseline.
- Potential for carbon sequestration through reforestation.
3 Engagement with governments, negotiators, private sector stakeholders, and NGOs.
4 Development of domestic policies to encourage reforestation (and wider mitigation) that could be partly supported by a climate team.
Project News and Updates
- Climate teams at the Global Climate Action Summit, 2018
- REDD+ International Symposium and Climate team meeting, Seoul, Oct/Nov 2018
- Dong-hwan Kim
- Ana María Ibáñez
- Santiago Saavedra
- Angela Inés Cadena Monroy
- Alex Hanafi
- Ruben Lubowski
- Seong-il Kim
- Robert Heilmayr
- Suzi Kerr